Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

First day of my trip down south

My original thoughts were lost replaced with my most recent posting. Don't know what I did wrong. I'll try to summarize my travel down to Florence. Took 2 1/2 days 1,600 miles traveled. Spent the first night in Yreka, CA. Wish I had my camera out to snap a photo of Mount Ashland and Mount Shasta, they were beautiful, covered in snow. Roads were good, could see in future trips that snow could have been on roads but they were dry and bare. Next day plan was to make it to Bakersfield but made better than expected progress and ended up staying in Barstow, CA (what a dump). The hotel was right next to a railroad track and trains rumbled through about ever hour, shaking the building. Got up early the next morning and headed for Florence. Once I got to Needles, I took US 95 straight south to Blythe and Hwy 10. 95 was a decent road but was a roller coaster for the entire 80 miles, thought I was going to get sick! Next time I would go through Lake Havasu, down through Parker, much prettier and much flatter highway. Pulled into Florence about 2:30, plenty of time to unpack and visit with Rick, he served steaks!

1 comment:

  1. I know that general area in Barstow. When I was stationed at George Air Force Base in Victorville 22 years ago, I caught an Amtrak there in Barstow to come to Portland and visit Mom. Frankly, It would be okay with me if I never see Victorville or Barstow ever again.

    ReplyDelete